Yazd, A World Heritage City
Yazd is in the center of the country in the heart of the desert. Its provincial capital is Yazd. In 2017, the historical city of Yazd has been subscribed to UNESCO World Heritages.
There is no doubt that during history, people in Yazd, generation after generation, got adapted to their surrounding desert. The very unique Persian architecture of Yazd is the phenomenon of this human-desert interaction. Besides, from its many examples, the “City of Wind catchers” (Shahr-e Badgirha) is its best title to describe this city. There are some elements that make Yazd well known and you should consider visiting them in Yazd tours like:
- Zoroastrian fire temples
- Ab Anbars (cisterns)
- Qanats (underground channels)
- Yakhchals (coolers), Persian handicrafts
- Handwoven cloth (Persian termeh)
- Silk weaving, Persian cotton candy
- Time-honored confectioneries
It is also known as the City of Bicycles, because of its old history of bike riders, and the highest amount of bicycles per capita in Iran. It is reported that biking culture is entered and developed from Yazd, in contact with the European visitors and tourists in the last century.
Being located beside the central mountains far from the sea, adjacent to the Dasht-e Kavir Desert, Yazd has a climate that mostly resembles a dry desert climate. Little rain along with high water evaporation, relatively low dampness heat, and great temperature changes are among the factors making this province one of the driest parts of Iran. With the exception of the mountainous region of Shir-Koh with mild temperature.
Historic City of Yazd
Yazd is famous for the quality of its silks and carpets. In addition, it is one of Iran’s industrial centers for textiles. Besides, there is a considerable ceramics and construction material in Yazd as well as jewelry industries and unique confectioneries. Also, a significant portion of the population is employed in other industries including agriculture, dairy, metal works, and machine manufacturing. Currently, Yazd is the home of the largest manufacturer of fiber optics in Iran.
Kashmir, Brocaded silk, Velvet, Wrapper for bed, Pileless carpet, Blanket, and Sheet are some of Yazd local crafts. But it is also famous for its sweets like Baghlava, Ghotab, Pashmak (cotton candy), Zolbia and Gosh Fil and nuts like pistachio, almond, and walnut.
Yazd Religious Attractions
Most important religious attractions in different cities of Yazd province are:
- Ardakan: Old mosques of Zirdeh, Haji Rajab, Zardak, Muhammad Hossein, Kharanegh, and Jame Mosque
- Taft: Old mosques of Shodeh, Islamiyah, Bida Khoyed, Tarazjan, Khanqah (monastery)
- The holy shrine of Tabas
- Jame Mosques of Mehriz, and Mehr Padin, Holy shrines of Khadijeh Khatoon in Mehriz
- Jame Mosque of Meybod
- Yazd: Mir Chomagh Mollah Ismail, Zaviyeh, Sabat, Four Minaret (Menar), Mausoleum, of Abu Jafar, Seyed Khalil, Twelve Imam, Shah Reza, Seyed Gol Sorkh, Rokn Aldin, Shams Aldin, and Zoroastrians holy shrines.
Mosque of Amir Chakhmaq
Mosque of Amir Chakhmaq also called the New Jam-e Mosque of Amir, is famous for its architecture and work of arts. During the Safavid Empire (AD. 1501- 1732), Amir Jalal-Al-Din Chakhmagh Shami Governor of Yazd has ordered to build this mosque. It has hallways embellished with beautiful tiles, which grant further beauty to the building and astonish every visitor and tourist.
Fire Temple of Varharam (Bahram)
Zoroastrians and the Persians of India founded this amazing building in 1934 A.D. It has a large courtyard with big trees, always green and thriving. In addition, the large round ponding entrance of the courtyard, adds to the beauty of the building. It is believed that the fire was brought from Anahita Fire Temple in Fars Province. For this reason, it has attracted special attention and respect for people as a holy place to Zoroastrians.
Yazd Natural Attractions
Here is a list of the most amazing and beautiful natural attractions in Yazd province:
- Caves of Hamaneh, Ashkoft, and Abolghasem Rashti are in Ardakan.
- Caves of Frashah and B’ad Maesom are in Taft.
- Natural spring of Gharbalabiz, Gardens of Golkar, Akrami and Sarasiab in Mehriz.
- Old Glacier is in Maybod.
- Gardens of Dowlat Abad (a Persian garden), Khan, Kolah Farangi, and Moshir are in Yazd.
- Ancient 4000 years old cypress tree
Yazd Historical Attractions
- Jame Mosque of Yazd
- Historical Neighborhood of Yazd or the Old Town (UNESCO World Heritage)
- Kharanaq Village
- Saryazd Castle
- Historical Cistern
- Ziyaieh Traditional School
- Historical House of Lari
- Historical House of Aghabozorg
- Narin Castle of Meybod
- Meybod Ice House